Saturday, October 11, 2008

Turkey Chili

I had been in search of a good chili recipe for quite some time. I asked Grandma Helen for her recipe and referred me to my Aunt Cindy. Grandma loves Cindy's chili. So, I called my aunt to get her recipe. Turns out she came across the Consumer Reports recipe years ago and that is what she has used all these years. She has it memorized. In fact, she gave it to me over the phone while walking on the beach in North Carolina. I modified it a bit for our tastes. Rather than green pepper, I use red, and because Matt and I aren't big fans of onions, I omit them. I just made this chili tonight and our family loved it. I hope you do, too!

1 lb. ground turkey
1 clove minced garlic
1 medium red pepper
4 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP cider vinegar
¼ tsp. all spice
¼ tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. salt
½ cup water
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
16 oz. can chili beans
¼ cup frozen corn

Cook turkey, garlic and red pepper in a soup pot over medium high heat, stirring frequently to break up meat. Cook until meat has last its pink color. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer the chili for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.

I serve the chili with toppings...sour cream, cheddar cheese, diced onions and chopped black olives (Matt's favorites).

5 comments:

Jane said...

I am cooking three big pots of soup tonight to eat this week and also freeze for Rob when we're gone. This recipe is definitely on the menu. Do you use white meat turkey or just regular ground turkey? YUM! Thanks for sharing.

Shana said...

I buy the lean ground turkey at Giant Eagle. I never looked to see if it is white meat or regular ground turkey. Matt wants to try to limit the amount of red meat he eats, so this recipe is a hit with him because he can't tell that it's made with turkey, even though he knows it is.

Jane said...

One last question. Do you drain your beans?

Jane said...

I made this tonight, Shana... it's so good! The only thing I did differently was add 1/2 an onion, about a tbsp of sugar, and a can of petite diced tomatos with jalepenos. I'm sticking with this recipe... it rocked!

Shana said...

So glad the recipe was a hit! I don't drain my chili beans. I find there's not that much juice in the cans. I'll have to give the sugar a try next time I make it.