Monday, October 27, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

So I'm sure you've all made this at some point or another, but I make it A LOT and feel compelled to share. This is total comfort food for my family. And the way to make your husband love you forever!

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
ketchup
(just a few big squirts)
1 egg
1 slice of white bread
(broken into small pieces)
splash of milk
dash of hot sauce
salt
pepper
1/2 bottle beer

Combine all of the above ingredients. Pat into 8x8 glass dish. Pour the other 1/2 of beer over top to prevent burning. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes. Drain most of the liquid.

Top with mashed potatoes - be generous here. I would love to share my own mashed potatoes recipe but I'm convinced they'll make me famous one day, so until then, make whatever kind you'd like :)

Top with 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese. Your dish will runneth over. Some people don't even add cheese. I don't understand them. Jane and I don't always agree on politics, but we do agree that everything is better with cheddar.

Pop in the oven for about 10 minutes until cheese is all melted.

Remove and serve warm.

* I know some people put vegetables in their shepherd's pie (actually, I think you're supposed to), but we don't really roll like that. Sometimes I do hide veggies in my meatloaf, but for this - I just serve them on the side. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Yeah, I think veggies in a dish like this are kind of dumb. Sounds yummy!

Jane said...

I just read this again... one LOAF of white bread?

Tammy said...

Oops! That would be a lot of bread indeed. You only need one SLICE of bread. Can someone change that for me please?

Damn Blogger won't let me edit posts at home. Shuts me down every time I click "edit post." And the damn Blogger people won't help me. Are you listening Blogger people??

Missy said...

I have NEVER made shephard's pie.
Does that make me sheltered?