Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Maid-Rite Sandwiches

When you visit the heartland, as I did this past weekend, you eat some darn tasty grub. This recipe is an Iowa favorite. My sister (who lives just over the border in Omaha) is married to an Iowa native... and has mastered the art that is the Maid-Rite. Maid-Rite is actually a fast food restaurant chain in Iowa that specializes in loose-meat sandwiches. But many families out there also make their own. The sandwich gets its name because it is just "made right." And it's true. YUM!

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped fine (my sister doesn't always use onion, but my brother-in-law's 88-year-old adorable Grandma told me that it's a must)
1 can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef and onion together. Drain. Return beef to pan and pour chicken broth over. Turn on high and bring to a boil. Let cook until all the liquid cooks off. Salt and pepper to taste. That's it!

Serve on hamburger buns. I put cheese on mine, but that is an Iowa no-no. They serve them with mustard and pickles. Ketchup is also, apparently, strictly off limits. I've been known to put ketchup on, too. Hey, I'm an Marylander-Ohioan... sue me!

3 comments:

Missy said...

oh my goodness, Jane.
My Grandma used to make maid-rites ALL THE TIME when I was little. She grew up in Iowa ;)
totally brought back some good memories for me this morning, thank you my dear... I'll see you tonight!!

Tammy said...

I think I saw this on a Food Network show once. They look good and I'm sure my family would like 'em. But I'm with you - cheese is a MUST! It's always a MUST. Everything is better... with cheddar :)

Shana said...

I made these sandwiches the other night and Matt loved them! We ate them the traditional way with mustard and pickles. I will definitely make these again!