Sunday, October 5, 2008

Easy Easy Potato Soup

Last winter, during a phone conversation with my sister, she mentioned she was making Potato Soup. YUM. The Irish girl in me loves anything that even mentions a potato in the recipe. I realized I had never made it before. Now, this is a staple in my house and I just made it for the first time this fall. I realize there are tons of potato soup recipes out there, but this one is so easy.

My sister uses bacon instead of ham, and doesn't use the immersion blender. She just mashes it a little. She likes more chunk to her potato soup, whereas I like mine smooth. Enjoy!

Potato Soup
5 Russett potatoes
1 pkg diced ham ( I like Bob Evans )
1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can chicken broth
1 medium chopped onion
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
Saute chopped onion with olive oil in a soup pot until the onions just start to brown. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Boil the potatoes until they're fork tender. While potatoes are cooking, in a seperate pan, cook the ham in a little olive oil just to crisp it up a tad. (You can probably skip this step, because the ham is pre-cooked, but I think it tastes better if it's browned a bit.) Once the potatoes are done, remove the pot from heat. Use an immersion blender to cream the soup. Add ham, and salt and pepper to taste. If it's too thick, thin it out with a little milk.
I think the soup is perfect the way it is, but it would be great with cheese, sour cream, and scallions on top.

1 comment:

Shana said...

I made a pot of potato soup tonight. I had some leftover bacon from breakfast this morning and some potatoes that I needed to use up. I'll post my recipe soon. I add celery and carrots and like your sister, I like my soup a little more chunky.