Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pumpkin Soup

My mother-in-law is an AWESOME cook. She is what I aim to be in the kitchen someday. Recently, before dinner one night, she asked me to try her pumpkin soup to see what it needed. I obliged, thinking I wouldn't like it. I am not generally a sweet-as-savory kind of gal. If I'm having pumpkin, I prefer it with sugar and spice and everything nice in the form of a pie or muffin. Or so I thought. My mother-in-law's soup was incredible. Needless to say, it needed nothing. Several helpings later, I asked for the recipe. Like Shana's grandma, my mother-in-law rarely cooks from a recipe. She told me what she used in it, but said she just keeps tasting it until it is just right. Here is the best I could do... I made some this morning. It turned out really good; very close to my mother-in-law's. Even if pumpkin soup weirds you out, I'd encourage you to give it a try. It's really healthy, too!

1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion; chopped fine
2 cloves garlic
1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
dash all spice
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

In a soup pot, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes until the onions are transluscent. Add chicken broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Lower the heat; add pumpkin, spices and bay leaf and bring to a simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add additional chicken broth if it's too thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.

My advice is to keep tasting it. Add more spices if you think it needs it. These are not exact guestimations.

It's delish the way it is, but my mother-in-law put a little cream on top when she served it. YUM!

1 comment:

Shana said...

I have to give this a try. I love pumpkin so much that I know I'd love this soup!