Saturday, October 11, 2008

Black Bean Soup

I was never a huge fan of black bean soup. I wanted to like it, but every time I ordered it I was disappointed. But recently a former co-worker of mine whom we all know and love made some. She raved about it, so I asked her to share the recipe with me. I made it that night and I am hooked. Black beans might just be nature's perfect food, too. High in vitamins and fiber, counts as a veggie, and FILLING. So, while this soup is good for you, you'll never know it by the taste.

I also love this recipe because I can buy all the ingredients, and just have it on hand to make whenever I want. Nothing perishable about it.

2 cans black beans, drained well but NOT rinsed
1 (15 oz) can of chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with jalepenos; don't drain
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder or chipotle chili powder
bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

In a soup pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil with the garlic. This will infuse the broth with garlic flavor. Mash one can of black beans with a potato masher. Add both whole and mashed beans to the pot along with tomatoes, chili powder and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Salt and pepper to taste.

The original recipe calls for a cup of salsa instead of the tomatoes with jalepenos. The result is a thicker soup. Thin it out with more chicken broth if necessary.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Hey ladies!!
I just used the recipe creator on Weight Watchers for this recipe, it comes out to 3 points a serving!! (I put in for 4 servings).