Friday, October 10, 2008

Grandma Helen's Red Pasta Sauce


My Grandma Helen always made homemade red pasta sauce. I never ate jar sauce as a kid and to this day I don't eat it. When you grow up eating homemade pasta sauce, you just can't eat anything else. A few years ago, Grandma and I made the sauce together and for the first time, I learned her recipe. The only catch in learning the recipe - my Grandma doesn't cook by measurements, it's all memory and taste. This required me to adapt the recipe a bit on my own. Matt likes a little kick to his sauce, so I added more red pepper flakes than Grandma did. Recently, Grandma had surgery, so I made a lot of homemade goodies to keep her freezer stocked. It was the first time she ate my red pasta sauce. She called and gave me rave reviews and asked me to share my recipe with her. She is truly the inspiration for this recipe, so to me it will always be Grandma Helen's Red Pasta Sauce. Enjoy!

2 TBSP olive oil
3 cloves of minced garlic
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
2 – 28 oz. cans tomato puree
1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 whole white onion
1 cup chicken broth
1 small can tomato paste
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP salt
1 large bay leaf

Add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes to bottom of large pot. Let garlic and pepper infuse the olive oil for a few minutes.
Add the tomato puree and crushed tomatoes.
Add chicken broth to empty tomato puree can, fill can with water, add tomato paste; add mixture to sauce.
Add whole, peeled onion to center of pot.
Stir in sugar and salt; add bay leaf.
Simmer on low for 2 – 3 hours.

Once sauce is done, remove onion and bay leaf.

Want a hearty meat sauce for lasanga or baked ziti? Add 1 lb. of ground beef and 1/2 lb. of ground sweet Italian sausage to the garlic and red pepper infused olive oil. Brown the meat and the follow the rest of the directions for the sauce. Having the cooked meat simmer in the sauce gives it a great flavor for your favorite baked pasta dishes.

3 comments:

Jane said...

It's SO good. SO good. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us. I love the story behind it. I served it to my college friends tonight and they gave the thumbs up. I don't think I'll go back to the jarred stuff, either. This recipe is easy enough... and you can't beat the homemade factor. I also love the lack of chunks... I'm a smooth sauce kind of gal.

Thanks again for sharing...

xoxo to Grandma Helen!

Shana said...

I think that it is actually cheaper to make it than to buy a jar of sauce. It's super easy to make, too. You can't beat that! I'm making a pot right now along with Jane's meatball recipe for our family. I'm also making a big pot of turkey chili for tonight. Yummy!

Tammy said...

Grandmas rock! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm always looking for a good red sauce - especially one that isn't chunky.