Thursday, October 9, 2008

Meatballs in Red Sauce

Our friend Maureen makes some of the best meatballs I have ever tasted. She uses this recipe. It's a little high maintenance for me, with the bread and all. Plus, I prefer an all-beef meatball, so I've adapted it. Or, as Rob would say, I've Janed it up. Either way, you're going to get some tasty goodness on top of your pasta.

2 1/2 lbs ground beef ( I don't recommend the leanest cut here, go with a ground chuck or round for the best taste and texture )
1/2 - 2/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT olive oil in a medium bowl. (Aysu, I put baggies on my hands!) Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large pot or dutch oven. Form meatballs into size of your preference and brown on all sides in the olive oil. Remove meatballs and set them on a paper towel. Drain the oil from the pot, and put meatballs back in. Pour your favorite red sauce over top of meatballs and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

As an alternative, I prepped everything tonight and put everything in the crockpot for tomorrow. I'm going to let it simmer all day. YUM!

My favorite red sauce?? You'll have to ask Shana. :o)

3 comments:

Shana said...

Matt's dad will be here Saturday evening and I always make my sauce for him. I am going to try your meatballs. Matt and his dad will be on their own Tuesday night, so meatball subs will be on the menu for them. I'll post my sauce recipe soon! :0)

Tammy said...

Made these last night, Jane! Awesome, awesome. Chris was so happy to have meatballs - I haven't made them in awhile and certainly didn't have a "special" recipe. I served with pasta but there were enough left over for sandwiches tonight. Thanks!

Shana said...

I made these over the weekend. Matt and his dad had meatball subs for dinner tonight. They loved them!