Sunday, November 23, 2008

Double Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies

When I was growing up, chocolate covered cherries were considered a delicacy. We always got them on Valentine's Day, and in our stockings for Christmas. I've always considered the combination of chocolate and cherries a real treat. I've been looking for a cookie recipe and came across this one. I think it won second place on a Food Network competition. Anyway, I made them over the weekend. They're really rich and chocolatey; not too sweet, though. The wine brings out the flavor of both the chocolate and the cherries. I'll be adding these to my Christmas cookie list.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dry red wine
10 ounces dark chocolate, broken into chunks (I just used 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1 cup dried tart cherries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. In a bowl of an electric mixer, or with a handheld mixer, combine butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and wine and combine. Slowly in batches add the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate and cherries. On a nonstick cookie sheet, place a heaping tablespoon of dough for each cookie about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are still soft looking but edges look firm.

1 comment:

Shana said...

These cookies are awesome! Matt loved them and he is not a fan of chocolate! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely be making this for Christmas this year.