Saturday, November 1, 2008

Jane's Very Vanilla Cupcakes

I have tried lots of variations in my quest to find the perfect vanilla cupcake. I'm still not quite there, but this is my favorite recipe to date. It's a variation of the famous vanilla cupcake from Magnolia Bakery in New York City. I've tweaked it somewhat. I use cake flour as opposed to self-rising, and definitely more vanilla (good vanilla, as Ina would say...!) and a little salt. I did not include any baking powder, but if you're worried about the cupcakes falling, you could add a teaspoon. As is, the cupcakes turned out buttery, dense and yummy and would also be great in a layer cake. They don't fall apart easily, which makes them perfect for decorating. (No trace of crumbs in your icing!)

I made these cupcakes last night for my sweet friend Jessica, who's hosting a baby shower today. Those are some scary looking babies... I know... but I tried to pipe some and I'm WAY out of practice. :o)

1 1/2 cups cake flour flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place cupcake liners into two 12-cup muffin tins.
Using a fork or whisk, combine flours and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Using a stand mixer, or the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add one egg at a time until the mixture is completely smooth. Add the dry ingredients in batches, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Do not overbeat.

Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to help make them even. Bake 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes completely before icing.

1 comment:

Shana said...

These sound so good! I need to practice my cake decorating before I made my Christmas cookies. :0)