Monday, November 24, 2008

Breakfast Casserole

Light, it's not. Delicious, it is!! I suppose you could use turkey sausage and 2% cheese in this recipe to lighten it up somewhat, but where's the fun in that? I like this recipe because it's very simple; not too many ingredients. And, you can make it up the night before and just throw it in the oven in the morning. I'm in charge of Christmas morning brunch (yes, I'm already planning) and this is on the menu with some cinnamon rolls.

1 (2lb) bag frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 pound ground breakfast sausage
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
12 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking dish.
Cook sausage in a medium saucepan over medium heat until browned; drain well. Heat oil in a large saucepan; cook potatoes and onion until potatoes are browned and onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with seasoning salt. Place potato mixture in the prepared baking dish. Cover with sausage. Sprinkle with cheese, top with eggs, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until eggs are fully cooked.

2 comments:

Shana said...

I've been looking for a recipe like this. I'm planning to make this for my family Friday morning. It should give us some energy for Black Friday shopping!

Jane said...

I made this on Saturday morning. I used shredded, frozen O'Brien potatoes (the kind that are seasoned with peppers and onions.) It was really good... just another variation on this. :o)