Friday, December 12, 2008

Jalapeno Jack Corn Muffins

I love corn bread and I love messing with it. Sometimes I add black olives, black beans, jalapenos, cheese... whatever. This recipe is one of my favorites. I'm making another big batch of Shana's Turkey Chili this weekend, and these will be a perfect side.

3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk (I usually use sour cream instead)
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 12 one-inch cubes
Heat oven to 425. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray tin. In medium bowl, combine milk, buttermilk, butter, and egg; blend well.
In large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Push dry ingredients to sides of bowl to form well in center.
Add milk mixture; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups. Press cheese cube into center of each.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: