Friday, December 26, 2008

Grandma's Christmas Cookies

I make these cookies every year. I got the recipe for the sugar cookie from my Grandma Helen. The frosting recipe is one I saw on Food Network. These are a family favorite. Hope you enjoy them, too!

Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1-2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. baking soda
5 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Stir the baking soda into the sour cream. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add the flour mixture to the cream mixture. Alternate with the sour cream/baking soda mixture. Knead dough until it is ready to roll. Roll out dough to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut out with favorite cookie cutters. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick of butter, softened
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 TBSP milk
food coloring

Mix cream cheese and butter. Add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla and milk. Add food color and decorate cookies.

Tip: I leave the cookies out for about 4 hours so that the icing can set.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing a family recipe. I will definitely try these next time I make sugar cookies. I usually use Alton Brown's recipe. This year I made the dough, put it in the fridge to set, then did all my other baking. By the time I was done I would have rather hung by my toenails than roll out dough and decorate. :o) So I put my dough in the freezer. Maybe Rob and Ellie will get sugar cookies after the new year! Haha.