Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tortilla Soup

I made this soup for the first time tonight, but it won't be the last. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law came over for dinner, and we practically finished the pot between the four of us. It was really filling and very yummy. There are a lot of ingredients but it's all in one pot, so it's super easy. I found this recipe while browsing recipe blogs similar to ours. I did modify it somewhat to our tastes. YUM!

1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 cup coarsely crushed lime flavor tortilla chips
3 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
1 can diced tomatos with jalapenos
2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into chunks (I used rotisserie)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
1/3 cup half and half
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
zest of one lime
juice of one lime
fresh cracked pepper to taste
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add onions, garlic and jalapeno and saute until soft. Add crushed tortilla chips and cook until the edges start to brown.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, spices and hot sauce and bring to a soft boil. Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup to your liking. (I left a lot of chunks and am glad I did - just a tip.)
Add chicken and corn bring back to a rolling simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat and add half & half. Then slowly stir in cheese until it melts. Add lime zest and juice, and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
I served this with a choice of toppings: chopped tomatoes, sour cream, more shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and additional crushed lime tortilla chips. My sister-in-law made an amazing salad which I will get the recipe for and post. Only an icy margarita would have made the meal better. :o)

No comments: