Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Turkey Chili Mac

I found this recipe in one of my low-fat cookbooks and decided to give it a try. I modified it a bit to our tastes and Matt and I both enjoyed it. It's easy to make and great on a cold night when you want something hearty but don't want all the calories!

1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1 lb. ground turkey
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. salt
1 - 16 oz. can chili beans
1 - 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese

Cook pasta and drain. While pasta cooks, heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey and next seven ingredients. Cook until turkey is browned. Add cooked pasta, beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook until heated through. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I could definitely get into this. Putting it on this week's menu. :o)