Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ellie's Oatmeal Cookies

I make these cookies for Ellie. She LOVES them. I made them up after a frustrating quest for a cookie that she would like as a treat, and I could feel OK about giving her. Sure, they have butter and brown sugar, but I figure the fiber from the fruit and oatmeal help cancel that out a bit. :o) They bake up nice and high and are very cake-like. And I've been known to throw the first batch in the oven for Ellie, then add chocolate chips to the rest of the batter for me. They make a great breakfast.

This makes about 1 1/2 dozen good-sized cookies.
  • 6 tbsp butter, room temp
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup natural applesauce -OR- mashed ripe banana
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat butter and brown sugar together until blended. Add egg and beat until fluffy. Add applesauce and vanilla and blend. Add flour mixture in batches, mixing well after each addition. Stir in oats. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.

2 comments:

Shana said...

These sound so good. I'll have to keep this in mind once Grace can start eating cookies! ;0)

Shana said...

Made these today for Grace...she seemed to really enjoy them. They are great for Matt too with his low cholesterol diet with the reduced amount of butter and use of only one egg. They are very moist and cake like. Thanks for posting this recipe! I'll keep this one in mind the next time I have to take snacks in for Grace's class!