Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tomato Basil Soup

It's such a cold, yucky day... and we're supposed to get snow. So I thought I'd make a big pot of homemade soup for lunch and to freeze. I just kind of threw this together using what I had on hand and it turned out really good, so I thought I'd share.
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 tbsp dried onion
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp freeze-dried basil*
  • 1 bay leaf

In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add crushed red pepper, garlic and dried onion. Sautee to infuse the oil with flavor. Add tomatoes, water, chicken bouillon granules, sugar and salt; bring to a gentle boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in basil and half & half.

*I use freeze-dried basil. It reconstitutes to "real" basil when added to liquid. I'm not sure how regular dried basil would be in this recipe; but fresh would be great.

No comments: