Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pepperoni Bread

I grew up in West Virginia, home of the pepperoni roll. Coalminers took them in their lunches. I took them in my school lunches. And as an adult, I still love them. There is a great bakery near my parents that makes pepperoni rolls and my parents ship them to us by the dozen. Since I'll never get that recipe, I've tried my own variations. I refuse to make my own dough (that is probably the secret!) so these are fairly simple.

1 can refrigerated French bread dough
1 package sliced provolone cheese
sliced pepperoni
1 clove mashed garlic
4 tbsp. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Spray cookie sheet.

Unroll dough and flatten slightly. Spread on half the butter with a pastry brush. Spread mashed garlic. Add cheese slices. Add pepperoni. Roll up the dough like you would a pumpkin roll. Cut a few slits on top of the roll. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Add the rest of the melted butter on top (makes it glisten). Let it stand for about 10 minutes before trying to slice it.

SECOND VERSION

1 can biscuits (I use Pillsbury butter flavored - DO NOT USE THE LAYERED KIND)
1 bag shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
pepperoni
* marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Spray 8x8 glass dish and set aside.

Flatten each biscuit with your hands. Top with cheese and then add a few slices of pepperoni. Pull the dough around the filling and pinch the edges to form a ball. Place the balls in the dish ... they'll be a little snug.

Bake about 10 minutes until light golden brown. Then cover with foil and bake another 5-10 minutes.

* You can serve these warm and with marinara if you like. You could also add sauce into the dough, but that's not how we "roll" in West Virginia!!

1 comment:

Jane said...

I love pepperoni rolls. I use Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough... the kind in the can. Wil try your version... it's probably so much better with Provolone. I have never done that.