Sunday, October 18, 2009

Awesome Apple Pie

I can't believe no one has ever posted an apple pie recipe! I make mine with Suncrisp or Fuji apples because I like a sweeter pie. I'm only posting the filling because I know everyone has their own personal pie crust recipe. I use my Grandma Hubbs'. I'll gladly share if anyone is interested.

Apple Pie Filling:

8 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2-3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tblsp. butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. water

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to apples and toss. Pour into crust and then dot with butter. Place top crust, seal the edges and cut slits on top. Beat egg yolk and water and brush over pie. Sprinkle with extra sugar and be generous! Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 35-40 more minutes or until crust is golden. Serve warm ... and with vanilla bean ice cream!!

2 comments:

Nicolle and Mike said...

This pie makes me want to lick the plate every time! I want the pie crust recipe. Mike wants me to make this very, very soon.

Tammy said...

I'm so glad you guys liked it, G. I love making apple pies. I feel like such a little homemaker :)

I'll send you the pie crust recipe too. It's old school ... with vinegar!