Saturday, October 3, 2009

Gertrude's Cinnamon Rolls

Oh my, oh my! A sweet old lady at my mom and dad's church makes these for almost every church function. The first time I had them, I demanded the recipe. It makes A LOT of cinnamon rolls, but I just use the full recipe and freeze the ones we don't eat.

1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cup instant potatoes (yep)

1 1/2 cup scalded milk
3-4 packages dry yeast
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 cup vegetable oil
8 cups flour
cinnamon
softened butter

Whisk together the water and potato flakes.

Mix in the dry yeast and flour. Mix all the other ingredients together and add in. This requires a strong mixer!

Dust table with flour. Roll out dough. Spread butter on dough. Add sugar. Add cinnamon. Roll this sucker up and pop into the freezer to chill for about 10-15 minutes. I place mine on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Preheat oven to 375.

Remove dough from freezer and cut into slices. Make them as thick or thin as you want. Bake 15-20 minutes on the parchment-lined cookie sheet.

* you could also add in raisins or walnuts

1 comment:

Jane said...

I.
Love.
Cinnamon.
Rolls.

Will definitely be trying these. Sound perfect for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast. :o)