Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lemon Cream Chicken Pasta

Rob told me this tastes like something he'd order at Macaroni Grill. This might be the highest compliment he's ever paid my cooking. (Yes, around here Macaroni Grill is haute cuisine. :o) Don't judge, we don't get out much.)

I made this dinner for my mother-in-law for her birthday. It's easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but tastes like a "special occasion" meal.

-1 (8 oz) box penne pasta
-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (see below for how I prepare mine.)
-2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
-1 cup heavy cream
-zest of one large lemon (zest before you juice it)
-juice of one large lemon, about 1/4 cup
-1 tsp garlic powder
-fresh cracked pepper to taste
-grated Parmesan cheese
-fresh chopped parsley

Bring chicken broth, garlic powder and pepper to a boil. Add lemon juice and pasta. Cover and simmer until all the liquid is gone, about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally*. Remove from heat, add chicken and stir in cream and lemon zest. Heat through, about 5 minutes. Top with grated parmesan cheese.

*You may fear soggy pasta boiling it this long. I certainly feared it. But, the pasta just tasted really darn good and was the perfect texture. I used Barilla Plus; our fav.

I think this would also be great with roasted grape tomatoes or roasted asparagus stirred right into the pasta. Will try that next time.

2 comments:

Nicolle and Mike said...

Jane, how do you prepare the chicken? I didn't see your notes to this...did I miss it?

Thanks for the recipes!

Jane said...

Nicolle - sorry, I prep the chicken the same way as in the chicken, broccoli & cheese bake. Garlic salt, pepper & a little olive oil and then bake! Enjoy!