Saturday, February 28, 2009

Happy Cake

You guys know me. If my dessert doesn't have chocolate in it, it's not worth the calories. There are very few exceptions to this rule, but this cake is one of them. My mom makes this and I've been craving it lately. Perfect for Easter if you're looking for a dessert to serve.

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3 egg whites
1 (11 oz) can mandarin orange segments
1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 (3.5 oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites and mandarin oranges with juice. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

To make the topping: In a large bowl, beat together whipped topping, drained pineapple and dry pudding mix until blended. Spread on cake.
**Update 04/09/09 -- This recipe has been corrected from what I originally posted. My mom was in FL all winter and didn't have her cookbooks. When I sent her the one with the oil, she said she thought it looked right. My sister corrected me. ;o) This cake is AMAZING, I hope you try it.

No comments: