Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Creamy Tomato Soup

Made this tonight, swapping out full-fat ingredients for fat free. I really never use fat free cream cheese, but figured it couldn't be too bad in a recipe. It was yummy, but I felt a little funny eating it because... well, fat free cream cheese really just shouldn't exist. Next time will use just plain old low fat, which is an OK substitute for the real deal. I do think the butter is important in this recipe. It gives a nice texture and flavor.

-3 tbsp butter
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-1-2 cloves garlic, minced
-3 tbsp all-purpose flour
-46 ounces V8 juice
-1 can fat free evaporated milk
-1 (8oz) block cream cheese, chopped into pieces
-salt & pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a soup pot, add onions and garlic and saute until soft. Add flour and stir, allowing the flour to cook out for a few minutes. Add V8 and evaporated milk and bring to a soft boil. Simmer about 10 minutes, then stir in cream cheese. When it melts, use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Serve with croutons, fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Perfect with grilled cheese!

1 comment:

dave491 said...

This sounds awesome. I'm totally making this this weekend!

I'm *so* glad I stumbled across this site!! I'm a newly divorced dad with custody of two teenagers (who have the audacity to expect to be fed daily). They don't complain much about the meals I make (I use the term "meals" loosely) since they know how inept I am in the kitchen, but the frozen pizza, boring pasta, and prepackaged Aldi meal concoctions just aren't cutting it anymore. I feel becoming a better cook is part of being a better dad.

I'm excited about scouring the rest of the site (I've done a bit of it already -- can't wait to do that tortellini chicken soup thingie) and see what all I might be capable of trying! You four get to join in the bumbling experience of a 40-year-old learning to cook! LOL (this is where you smile, nod, and try desperately to act excited while at the same time trying to figure out a way to escape...)

Count me in as a regular reader! And I love the fact that you guys are local. :) Columbus rocks!